Monday, September 30, 2013

Special Guests: Jennifer Sargent

New York
Tell us a bit about yourself.
I am a 20-something film maker, geek, blogger, costume designer, crazy girl with far too many project ideas in her head.  I work an online video day job and in my spare time I'm still doing online video related things. I love traveling and wish I could do it more, there are just so many places I want to see. Blogging and video making are my main two hobbies (with sewing coming in at number 3) and I love vlogging and blogging about everything in my life; from experience at conventions, adventures in sewing, to just life. My favorite two bands are Hanson and The Long Holidays (though I've been to far more Long Holidays concerts.) I'm in a serious relationship with scientist/musician. (Lead singer/songwriter of The Long Holidays and he has a PhD.) He's the love of my life and the best roommate I've ever had. 

How did you find out about CalNerdCon?
Well, I created it. It's my baby. Many members encouraged me to keep it going and be a monthly thing (for the first year at least) and Eden helped me pick out the name from a list I made. So if it were not for all of the members that stayed late that first time (I call them the Long Beach girls), it would have probably been a one time thing.

How many meetups have you been to?
All of them. I plan them all, so it'd be impossible to miss one. One day though I may hand the torch off to someone else, but for now I am the official meetup planner person.

Share a memory from CalNerdCon.
I remember meeting Anthony very vividly. It was at the first meetup and it had already started. I was walking around Downtown Disney, watching the teams of Nerdfighters complete the scavengers hunt I made for them, when I spotted this guy. He was walking around with a cigar-box ukulele he made (I can't remember if he was playing it or just holding it, but I like to think he was playing it). I took one look at him, he saw my Pizza John shirt, and it was so obvious. We almost did not even need the exchange of "Here for the Nerdfighter...?" "Yes!" It's one of those rare times where I'll actually remember how a friend and I met.
IMG_0361
Talk about a nerdy memory.
When I was 14 I put on my own production of the musical CATS. I was me and 13 other friends and for an entire summer we rehearsed in my garage. We made all our own costumes and set and we did one performance (at a youth center I think). I don't think any of our parents thought we'd actually pull it off, but we did. To this day, it's one of my favorite teenage memories.

Promote something!
I have a YouTube channel: MagicCatJenny. It's a relatively small channel but I enjoy making videos to make videos so I try and not let the numbers get me down. I don't really stick to one style or format, I like trying (almost) everything! Shows, vlogs, food, costumes, comedy?, whatever...just check out my 'trailer' video, it gives you a good idea. I do what I like and I do what I want and if someone else likes it then great.


No comments: